Tuesday 18 November 2008

Old Drawings #22


From Dillon's First Floor Window (charcoal on cartridge paper)

I've been distracted somewhat over the past week, and haven't been able to put the time in on my painting or my blogging. I hope this distraction has passed.

I reckon this drawing was done in 1994 when I was really starting to get into my urban landscapes. It's difficult taking photographs inside a shop. The staff look at you when you seem to be hovering round, not looking at the books. You come across as quite a shifty individual, so I had to make sure I knew what i wanted from the view, then lean over the tables of books and take two photographs in quick succession.

The drawing takes out one of the window mullions and in the course of its making, another sheet of paper was added to the right hand side (you can still see the join in the photograh, I think). Quite a successful painting came out of this drawing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this! I like the use of warm and cool tones here, and how you've suggested crowds amongst the fascinating architectural shapes of old and new.

harry bell said...

Thanks, Marja-Leena. I wasn't sure at the time if I'd be able to handle the crowds, but a bit of smudging, and mark making with a rubber (stop sniggering, you Americans!) work wonders.

Serena said...

Nice contrast, and reflections too. I like the majesty of it all. Do you have a photo of the resulting painting? I'm nosy, what can I say!?

Unknown said...

Love this. The pepper pot shaped building reminds me of one in Brighton near where I used to live, but what I like best is the foreground indistinct textural work with the crowds and the blurry front pavements of the buildings.

harry bell said...

Serena -- not nosy at all. I'm always pleased when someone takes na interest. See next post for photo.

Spot -- The pepper pot construction is one of John Dobson's finer creations, and there are three of them standing at the corner of a triangular block, with a splendid arcade running through it.