Tuesday 25 November 2008

Wayne Thiebaud: Interview



I sometimes wonder if my early interest in becoming an illustrator and cartoonist might account for my preferences in painters. Both Edward Hopper and Wayne Thiebaud, the subject of this video, began their careers as illustrator/cartoonist. Maybe it's something to do with the clarity of image and use of strong composition that shows in their paintings.

I love Thiebaud's self-deprecating humour in this interview and am only disappointed that it doesn't feature any of his San Francisco street paintings. Still, although I forget where I found this video, I for one found it a delight. Let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Linda Blondheim said...

Hi Harry,
I've always loved Thiebaud's work too for many of the same reasons. Something about those wonderful flat shapes. Do you like Milton Avery? Love his work too.
Love,
Linda

harry bell said...

Hi, Linda, and welcome. Yes, I like Milton Avery too - it's a pity the monograph on him is so colossal!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Wayne Thiebaud. Now that you mention him I can very well see the resonance between his and your work, Harry. I also like Richard Dibenkorn's work.

http://uchigo.notlong.com

--
Bruce

harry bell said...

Yeah, me too. There's a nice little Diebenkorn in the De Young.

belindadelpesco.com said...

Excellent video. Thanks for posting it. I love hi work, and he's so humble about it. I agree with you on the Street Paintings - they are some of my faves.

harry bell said...

Hi Belinda, and welcome. I'm glad you found the video as interesting as I did.