Tuesday 7 April 2009

Old Drawings #36



Fuse Box 1996 (Charcoal on A1 cartridge paper)

I think I've mentioned before that, every year, I used to spend a couple of drawing and painting weekends at Ford Castle in Northumberland. Most of the time the weather was good, but now and again the rain would set in and the best thing we could do then was work inside the castle. Rarely content with drawing things that everyone else found attractive (perverse, I think I was called more than once), I drew this fuse box on one such rainy day.

But on another, I was taken with this meeting going on in the Main Hall, so got out my sketchbook.



Ford Castle Meeting (2B mechanical pencil, A4 sketchbook)

5 comments:

April Jarocka said...

Nothing perverse in drawing fuse boxes Harry! Grief, on that note there is no hope for the rest of us then.

harry bell said...

I know, but I never cease to be amazed at the numbers of people who are content to draw and paint vases of daffodils until the end of time :0)

April Jarocka said...

Or stones....lol

harry bell said...

The daffodillers would probably think stones were perverse, too!

Caroline said...

It's easy to see the beautiful in the obvious! Much more challenging to paint an 'ugly' subject and reveal its strange loveliness to others.
"Why have you put the telegraph pole in??" they ask me.. or "... you're going to leave that van out, aren't you?"
(Currently drawing the inside of a steam-engine cab).