Thursday 20 August 2009

Central Hotel with Cars


Central Hotel with Cars (oil on canvas, 24 x 24 ins)

You last saw this one back in July. I decided that it would fit reasonably well in the upcoming Red Box show, especially if, as is possible, I need to hang some of my other Transport pictures to make up the numbers, so I pressed on and finished it.

Referring back to my post about passion and the reason for finishing pictures, it became clear to me today that having a reason, an incentive to finish them is very important. A deadline for an exhibition really gets me moving. If there's no great likelihood of a picture being seen on a gallery wall, I'm far less likely to want to push on to the finalisation.

6 comments:

ian gordon said...

I get a tremendous sense of movement from this one. The way in which the cars are on a slight incline, and the arches of their roofs follow through to the arch of the bridge. Plus the perspective on the building at the rear.

Anyone else get that?

Don Coker said...

Wonderful work, Harry!

harry bell said...

Ian -- I hope others *do* get it. The elements you've highlighted were all uppermost in my mind when I was putting the composition together.

Don -- thanks, and welcome to Boogie Street.

Simon Jones said...

Ooo like this one a lot too, a mix of the very transient with the very, well, old.

harry bell said...

Rose -- thanks for kind invitation. I don't think I can fit this in right now, much as I might like to.

harry bell said...

Simon -- Thanks. An interesting thought.