Friday 27 November 2009

Old Drawings #48


Saltwell Park "Frying Pan"
(Charcoal, compressed charcoal on cartridge paper, 16.5 x 23 ins)


I've always liked this view - I've drawn it several times over the years and even started a small painting which failed to take off.

Saltwell Towers and its grounds, which lie at the heart of Saltwell Park, are surrounded by low walls and walkways and every now and then there's a little turret. These used to have nice wooden seats in them but seats always offend the loutish section of society, so they aren't there now. When I was a kid, I always called these turrets "the frying pans".

2 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

It never fails to amaze me how one can love a drawing, and yet try again and again to paint it, and yet fail. Happens to me all of the time.

Do you ever wonder if its because one fails to "get" the kernel that inspires? How ironic, when the one failing is the artist himself!

I hope you continue to post these charcoals as I enjoy them very much, Harry.

keri said...

Hello, I just enjoyed a good long snoop around your blog. You are a very talented artist, Sir. I'm very impressed. Love your use of shade and shadows. Very moving stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Keri
www.samwich365.com
www.spitnglue.com