Thursday 4 February 2010

Old Drawings #52


Rooftops (Charcoal and compressed charcoal on cartridge paper)

This drawing is clouded in uncertainty. I don't really remember when I did it, but this seems an appropriate point in the Old Drawings scheme of things to post it. I can't locate the dimensions of it either, although I suspect it was done on a sheet of A1 cartridge paper.

It's a drawing of the rooftops to be seen if you look over the Western side of the Tyne Bridge. Eventually, I made a painting from it, but people so rarely look over the side of the Tyne Bridge that no one knew where it was and kept asking if it might be somewhere in the Mediterranean! The painting is in a private collection, so I don't have access to a good photograph of it, I'm afraid.

8 comments:

Alex said...

It's a beautiful drawing! I really like the shading done, the clouds are very nice, and the roof lines kind of creating something abstract and 3D :) very interesting!

harry bell said...

Thanks, Alex. You've identified what it is I like about the drawing (although the "clouds" are actually trees)

Anonymous said...

Really cool! I always like to look out the window of the car when I'm not driving, so I can see things I don't get to see because my eyes are on the road. There are some very interesting things to see. I really like this a lot. It's something you don't normally get to see so it becomes new and fresh. Nice contrast and the comp is great.

nanke's stuff said...

What a marvelous drawing! It is very abstract, and you did a great job with the values. nancy

harry bell said...

Sherie, Nancy -- Thnks for your kind comments.

Unknown said...

Very nice, Harry! I love the tonal work and the bird's-eye perspective. It really makes a great composition!

Anonymous said...

Your drawing is beautiful! When I saw it- I immediately had a sense of being alone in a city. I love all the angles and shapes and contrasts. I could see you taking this even into a cubist inspired piece. Wonderful! I bet your painting was as lovely.

harry bell said...

raena, PAMO -- welcome both, and many thanks for your comments.