Friday 25 March 2011

West End Fish


West End Fish (Oil on canvas, 30 x 30 cms)

One of the things I like about painting buildings in towns and cities is the opportunity it provides to celebrate the ordinary, the overlooked. I like to think that, without my painting, this building in Edinburgh on the corner of Queensferry Street and Charlotte Lane, would go largely unnoticed and uncelebrated.

Despite the busy traffic and pedestrians hurrying everywhere, the building's curves and cupola caught my eye and I knew I could do something with it. And I have.

I'm very pleased to report that after my tour of the galleries in and around Dundas Street, I was contacted by the Di Rollo Gallery and asked if I'd be interested in showing work with them during this year's Festival. You can probably guess what my answer was, especially in view of today's painting.

6 comments:

FTL said...

Thanks for the large view - I've always liked the shapes of these angled-corner buildings, and you've captured this one well. And congratulations on your Edinburgh gallery placement - perhaps a little bright spot to offset the moving of the Art Club.

Bill

harry bell said...

Thanks Bill. Art Club melancholia in full flight now that the sun has come out.

Casey Klahn said...

Congrats.

This is a superb one and I am looking at it closely. I just finished a small Venice piece, and have far to go in cityscaping. You provide inspiration.

Kevin Williams said...

Nice one. Marvelous old building.
Kev

April Jarocka said...

I agree ~ a lot of things would go unnoticed if we didn't put them onto canvas. Nice work.

harry bell said...

Thanks April. Nice to hear from you.