Wednesday 18 May 2011

The New Art Club


A Yellow Wall (Oil on canvas, 16 x 16 ins)


The Orange House (Oil on canvas, 16 x 16 ins)

I got my first look at the Art Club's new premises yesterday. Last Friday, I submitted these two paintings to an inaugural show at the new place, so I went along to see how they looked.

The exhibition is in a room next to the new studios. Not a very big room, so there had to be some selection of paintings., and my two were hung one above the other (as they are shown here). Not an arrangement I particularly like, but I suppose it's better than not being selected at all.

The new studio is going to pose some problems when it's up and running properly, because it's around half the size of the old studio in Bolbec Hall. It really is a shame we had to move, but our situation there had become absolutely untenable in that we could have been evicted at any time with only a month's notice.

There is no natural light in the new room and it seemed a bit stuffy, although there is an air extractor (not switched on yesterday). The other room has been set aside as a community room with the fridge, library and large table. It can be used as a room for drawing, but not drawing with friable materials like charcoal or pastel as it's carpeted and the owners don't want the carpet ruined. So only of limited use in that respect. There are large windows in the community room and I made sure they could be opened to let in some much-needed air.

There's no doubt the change will take some getting used to, but I dare say we'll rise to the challenge. As the only art club in the area which has always allowed members access to their studio five days a week, it has a lot to live up to.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

What a way to come back to EDM. The paintings are terrific. Sorry about the art space. maybe you lay a canvas over the floor during workshops.

harry bell said...

I'm sure we can find ways to work round the limitations, Sandra. Glad you like the pictures.

vivien said...

I do envy you a studio space with exhibition space attached

We have nothing like that here :>(

I did have a studio space for some time but it was so COLD!

Alex said...

Terrific drawings! Gorgeous contrasts in both of them

harry bell said...

Vivien -- the arts centre where the Club is now based has a dedicated gallery area in addition to the room we're using for the show this week. Spoiled for choice, really.

Alex -- they're oil paintings rather than drawings, but I'm glad you like them.

Casey Klahn said...

The club should be paying you to show these works, Harry. A great set, in my humble opinion.

harry bell said...

Your humble opinion means a lot, Casey.