Friday 30 May 2008

Corner Gallery, Biscuit Factory

Got the paintings safely to the gallery today and after a surprisingly short session of mill-about, how-about-this-one-here-and-that-one-there, we settled on a decent hang. In this respect, we relied on some good advice from Mel, the curator for the show - always best practice I find when there are possible arguments developing about the use of space. All of our pictures have been mixed together, contrasting size against size, but picking up colour notes which carry through from one painting to another. Over all, I think it works well. This is the selection of my own that I decided to hang. It was an opportunity to put together paintings from the last three years (I've put the year of origin in to give you an idea) in a venue where many people won't have seen them before.


Before the Run 2006 (Oil on canvas, 36 x 36 ins) - sorry, this is the best photograph I've been able to take so far.



Yellow Hats and Red Balloons 2006 (Oil on canvas, 20 x 20 ins).




Venetian Regata 2008 (Oil on canvas, 24 x 24 ins)




Aegean Hideaway 2007 (Oil on canvas, 20 x 20 ins.)



EROTOKRITOS 2007 (Oil on board, 12 x 12 ins.)



Alleyway in Crete 2008 (Oil on board, 9 x 9 ins.)





Wooden Sunset 2005 (Oil on canvas, 24 x 24 ins.)





Engine Summer 2005 (Oil on canvas, 40 x 40 cms.)




Venetian Wall 2005 (Oil on canvas, 40 x 40 cms.)

A pretty disparate bunch, I guess, and I'm hoping that scattered as they are throughout the show, they won't appear too mismatched. I dunno. What do you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not at all, I think they look good and hold together very well as far as I can see on the web. Hope your show goes well!

harry bell said...

Thanks, Marja-Leena, that's reassuring.

ian gordon said...

I think it amounts to a beautiful, colourful display.

Wooden Sunset is my favourite. I sometimes go to Skegness hoping to find similar weathered items. But its all pvc there now.

I love this one.

harry bell said...

I appreciate the compliments, Ian. There was a time when I was going to paint over Wooden Sunset, but I decided to tickle it a bit last week and suddenly it all pulled together. Luckily, I know where there are more boats like this one ...

Anna said...

That's a really strong set of pictures, I bet they shine out in the gallery. Wooden Sunset and Engine Summer would hang together well. Really good stuff Mr. Z.

harry bell said...

Thanks, Anna. The bottom three were all part of a series (there are 4 more). I wonder if it's the somewhat abstract quality of the image that attracts people to Wooden Sunset? I'll have something more to say about this, I think, in another post.

jafabrit said...

Considering how all the place our doll show is,I am not one to comment lol! Okay I will comment, your work is cohesive and looks wonderful. I wish I could see it. I haven't seen the Biscuit Factory yet, but it looks like a marvelous place to exhibit.
Good luck with the show.

ps. its the colours that attract me to Wooden Sunset. Your colours are just YUMMY and rich to explore.

harry bell said...

Well, you did say you were hoping to come back sometime, no? Maybe the work will be still around by then. And I promise to be still in the area of YUMMY colour.