Tuesday 16 September 2008

Early Thoughts



Spillers and the Cement Factory (Oil on board, 12 x 1 2 ins.)




A Bend in the Tyne (Oil on board, 12 x 12 ins.)

I could have sold these two pictures several times over, and since the nature of art fairs is that the buyer can take them away, I had to search through the studio for something to replace them. One that I found was this, which didn't sell but still attracted a lot of interest.



River Tyne Factory (Oil on board, 12 x 12ins.) (£250)

These were all paintings I did after a visit to an Andrew Gifford exhibition at The Fruitmarket Gallery in Edinburgh in 2000. I've long been an admirer of his, in fact since I first saw his work in the studios at Newcastle University when he was doing his BA (Hons) degree (1990-94). It was his work that showed me how I might deal with the subject matter closest to my heart - townscapes. Although I'd moved on in my own way, going to see his exhibition revived an interest and, as with many good exhibitions, I came out of the show seeing "Andrew Gifford " subject matter everywhere. The following week I did these three paintings. There was one other, but it didn't survive to maturity.

Andrew has a new exhibition opening next month at John Martin of London, showing some huge new paintings of Istanbul, a city I love. The work looks great on the gallery website, but I'd really like to get to see the paintings themselves.

Anyway, I think I may be entering another neo-Gifford phase, but who can say. At the moment I'm in a state of calm with no need to get any painting done and plenty of time to clear up the mass of paperwork that always collects when I'm fully in right brain mode.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on a successful show!

Not surprised these paintings were snapped up. I love the mix of the river and the industrial.

harry bell said...

Thanks, I do too, Spot. But it surprised me how many of the public also liked them.