Wednesday 28 February 2007

Almost like a real job ...

Our painters' group, Figure 8, had a good day today. We took some work to the Library Gallery and talked with the deputy curator.

It's a good gallery, with good lighting, display cases for sketchbooks and the like, and constantly passing public.

By the end of the meeting, we'd arranged a show there next January for 8 weeks. Transport of works is available courtesy of the Council van, all publicity will be handled and paid for by the gallery; they'll arrange a private view for us and pay for it (including the wine)

Best of all - and this is the first time I've known anyone benefit in this way, despite the Arts Council's recommendation - the gallery will pay each of us £100 as Exhibition Payment Right.

I think we all went home with spirits uplifted. All we need now is a show this year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful - congratulations! In Canada, many though not all public galleries pay exhibition fees as recommended by Carfac (Canadian Artists Representation). Interesting to learn about UK practice.

ian gordon said...

Fantastic news. The real celeb treatment! I didn't know such curators existed.

harry bell said...

Like any local authority, Gateshead has its faults and our Council Tax is the highest in the area. But their dedication to the arts is second to none.

Ellee Seymour said...

Great news, congratulations.

Just wondered why you don't post pics on your site, your own art gallery. Have you thought about WordPress? I;m not on commission, it's just such a versatile site, images are important to me and play a key feature on my site, it would suit you so well too, you won't look back.

harry bell said...

Welcome, Ellee. I do post my paintings now and again, when I think they're relevant. I'm feeling my way towards a blog-and-website setup but am not yet sure of how I want it to look and work. WordPress may turn out to be the answer. Thanks for the info.

jafabrit said...

That is wonderful, and yes I agree about Gateshead's dedication to the arts. Even some of the richest areas in America can't compare to Gateshead when it comes to the amount and diversity of public art.