Wednesday 30 March 2011

Late Night on Dundas Street


Dundas Street (work in progress)

Late night sessions are nothing new with me, but it's some time since I really got into one. When I worked full time in an office, the only way I could get anything done, apart from at weekends, was to work at night. Now that I have the luxury of all my time to myself, I ought to be able to get things done during the day. However, sometimes days get broken up by shopping for food essentials and the like and the urge to work cannot be denied, whatever time it is.

I made good progress with this painting tonight, but I should perhaps have remembered that the studio clock hadn't been changed at the weekend for British Summer Time. So when I knocked off it turned out to be 12.45 am instead of 11.45 pm.

I'm nearly finished with this painting, but there are a couple of problems, most especially the tall spire at the right. It's a very dominant element in both the painting and the city, but memory tells me that it's much further away than it appears, so some real consideration needs to be given to it to make it sit right.

8 comments:

FTL said...

Do you find that the paintings have a different "feel" when you do them at night rather than during the day? Or do they take sufficiently long to paint that there's always some of each in every work?

harry bell said...

The thing about my studio is that, being in the basement, there's not much in the way of natural daylight, so the electric striplight is on all the time. So, apart from my mood, there's little difference in day or night painting.

Sonia said...

The yellow sky really adds mood to this painting Harry. By the way, congratulations on your mention on the Painters-Online website (gallery pages).

harry bell said...

Thanks, Sonia - on both counts!

Tim said...

Cool stuff.

Anonymous said...

I admire you can let people see your in progress work. I write, and on longer pieces I've found that difficult until I'm down the road a ways. I like your painting.

Diana Marshall said...

Love the colour of the sky and the mood it gives to the painting, wonderful.

harry bell said...

thewritingwaters - I'm careful what I show here. There are disaters that never get to show their face on Boogie Street

Diana - thank you. I'm pleased with the way it's working out.