Wednesday 6 April 2011

Onto the Island


Holy Island I (work in progress)


Holy Island II (work in progress)

I know what you're thinking: Not more new ones! When will he ever finish something? Well, this is how I prefer to work. I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks and I find that getting the paintings actually begun is the best way of moving forward. From the initial blocking in, I move on to getting done most of the work, then bring the paintings to their final state by putting in small delineations, points of light, etc.

Whether or not I should be showing these two at this stage, however, is a moot point. A comment on the previous post suggests that I'm very brave to do so. There is a danger that you can't see what I can see in them and you may wonder how they''re going to turn out. In this case, I'm erring on the side of giving information about their construction. The paintings are the result of a commission to provide a painting of Holy Island and what I've decided to do is make several at one time. Expect more of these in the coming weeks.

4 comments:

Diana Marshall said...

Love both of these in their wip state

Unknown said...

I particularly like the foreground landscape in the second one.

Jean Spitzer said...

These are terrific. Look forward to seeing more of them.

harry bell said...

Thank you, all three. They're proving to be an interesting change od subject.