Sunday 27 August 2017

The Path Never Taken

Path WIP
(Acrylic on canvas, 20 x 20 cm)

When doing Tony Montague's knife painting workshop a couple of weeks ago, one of the images I thought about using was a small monochrome inkjet print provided by Tony. In the end, I used another, but I was still interested in this monochrome because it showed a path through a wood, a theme that continues to fascinate me.

On Friday at Gateshead Art Society's weekly meeting, I thought I'd make a start on this image and see where it led. And this Work In Progress is where I got to by the end of the session. There's a great deal of the cadmium orange underpainting showing through and I intend to keep some of that, especially in the trunks of the tree. The main difficulty is sorting out the monochrome trees and branches, but I'm now at the stage where I can see the wood for the trees.

No comments: