Monday 10 February 2020

Sketch Crawl : Revolution and Subway

Beer Taps at Revolution
(markers in A5 sketchbook)

On Saturday, I went on my first Sketch Crawl of the year (and my first for quite some months) with Urban Sketchers Tyne and Wear. Although the others had started at the Subway cafe at the cathedral end of Collingwood Street in Newcastle, I met up with them after they'd moved along to Revolution, a vodka bar at the other end of the street.

We'd been granted the exclusive use of a row of stools and tables but I found when I was finally perched on my stool (does anyone else find bar stools the most uncomfortable form of seating?) that left me with only two subjects for drawing. I could draw Colin who was sitting sketching across the small table from me, or I could draw ... some beer taps. I decided Colin would prove the more interesting (how about that, Colin? More interesting than a row of beer taps!) but just then the food he'd ordered before I got there arrived and he became decidedly more animated. I like to draw people who I reckon will remain relatively immobile and while Colin was that while he sketched, he moved about quite a bit when presented with a sandwich.

I drew the beer taps. A man with a cap and a girlfriend sat down in front of them and I almost began drawing his cap, but luckily they both got up again. As I was finishing the sketch, two girls sat down and I was able to include a handbag which I felt helped to balance the composition.

As the noise from partying girls began to get uncomfortable, we decided to return to the Subway cafe. I wasn't inspired by the view, so ate an uninspiring vegan and aioli wrap and chatted to Mike about the things that concern aspiring painters.

2 comments:

Gil Stewart said...

Harry - I enjoy a morning of blog trolling, especially 'elderblog' trolling, and especially when I stumble across one as enjoyable as your Boogie Street. As a Yank who once spent a year living in Winchester I know something about loving the Old Country. Your sketches, pictures, and comments depicting the North..... its people and places, are a comfortable introduction to a part of the country I scarcely know. I look forward to following your adventures.

At 83 I too am one of those practicing elderbloggers, though my approach has been through my late-life Geriatric Adolescence novels and accompanying October Years blog. I am alway fascinated by the many ways our peers have found to follow their individual interests and make their personal statements in a blogging format.

Keep on sketching, and letting see the places that takes you.

harry bell said...

Hi Gil - thanks for your Comment. It's very rewarding to find that someone does actually read what I write here and maybe gets some pleasure from the pictures I make. Were it not for the occasional comment such as this, I begin to feel that I'm simply writing a diary for personal use.

Painting and sketching have such a hold on me that I'm unlikely to stop unless and until it becomes physically impossible. I'm hoping that's a good way off yet and am encouraged to find you're active ten years ahead of me.