Friday 3 September 2010

Old Drawings #60


Lemba (Charcoal, compressed charcoal on 60 x 60 cm cartridge paper)

This was the next drawing based on the wall at Lemba College of Art. I was getting quite excited about the turn my work had taken at this point and began to make plans to construct still life set-ups of random junk from which to make drawings.

Meanwhile, I started a painting based on this drawing. It drew no comment from any of the lecturers and as it was nearing the end of term, I think it was abandoned rather than finished (although not a lot more was planned on it).



Lemba (Oil and collage on board, 60 x 48 ins.)

4 comments:

Jean said...

I like the drawing and the painting (and the variations between them). Did you proceed with your plan?

harry bell said...

Unfortunately not. The basic flaw in my university education was that it worked to stifle my creativity, rather than offering the more usual eencouragement.

Jean Spitzer said...

I didn't go to art school, but I saw the movie: Art School Confidential. Very funny and apparently pretty true to life.

harry bell said...

I haven't seen the film, but the IMDb summary says that "Competition and petty jealousy consume faculty and students..." That pretty much says it, except that even competition was feeble in that no one seemed much interested in what anyone else was doing.