Wednesday 30 May 2007

Cretan New Town


Big Pink Wall (lay-in)
This place doesn't really exist.
I tried to make a painting of the bottom part - the pink wall - some time ago, but gave it up as a bad job. Leafing through some print-outs today, I accidentally laid a couple of different places on top of each other and something clicked in my head.
So here we are with a new imaginary little town, somewhere in Crete. As it moves along, I think I may change it some more. Could prove interesting, to me at least.

4 comments:

Bee Skelton said...

I like this very much...especially the vaguely abstract feel.

harry bell said...

Thanks Bee. I believe that the basis of every good picture should be a good abstract. It's just that I prefer to have the double benefit of a good abstract AND a good figurative painting combined.

jafabrit said...

MR ZIP you want it all LOL! and thank goodness for that because I so enjoy your paintings. I don't know what happened to my previous comment, but I said: I just LOVE "At the Rivers's Edge". I is really beautiful.

harry bell said...

But it's possible to have it all! Look at Richard Diebenkorn's figurative paintings (between his two periods of abstraction) especially the painting of his studio sink. Abstract AND figurative and, I believe, all the better for being both.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the River's Edge painting - it got a good reception at the Club today.