Tuesday 7 February 2017

Sketch Crawl : The Laing and the Library

























In The Laing Art Gallery 
(0.8 marker in A5 sketchbook)

I just realised I hadn't reported on January's Sketch Crawl. Apologies! 

We met up in the cafe of the Laing Art Gallery and after coffee and/or lunch tried to find something there to draw. I say "tried" because as I'd expected, it doesn't really lend itself to drawing subjects. I know Allan went outside to draw the entrance and later found some ceramics and glassware in a display case and I saw Mike drawing a piece of sculpture.

I wandered round for quite a while, taking in the Out of Chaos exhibition (recommended, by the way).  Finally, from the comfort of a chair, I drew this corner of the main hall where a piece of rather minimal sculpture stands on a plinth. A man came across and said "I'm a kind of artist: I draw my own conclusions." I suspect he'd used this line many times before and was obviously pleased with it, so I smiled indulgently until he went away. Before going, he asked if I was happy with my drawing. I said "No, not really," which was true and I still feel that way about it.

Leaving the Laing, I followed Mike to the top floor of the City Library where there's a viewing deck. Although I felt my eyes weren't working well - simply tired I think because they've been checked since - I decided to draw the Laing from the the viewing deck, and this is how it came out.

The Laing from the City Library
(0.8 marker in A4 sketchbook)

This one I am pleased with! 

No comments: