Thursday 12 June 2008

Fallen Tree



Fallen Tree (Oil on board, 12 x 12 ins)

Shortly before going on the most recent Compo & Clegg Painting Week in the Lakes, I thought I'd get some practice in on the subject matter I usually find there, so I started this painting at the Art Club. As reference material I had a black and white photocopy of an old photograph and I began the painting on an old painting of a Cyprus landscape.

I didn't quite finish it before we left for the Lakes so I brought it home, but since then I haven't had the time or inclination to complete it.

This morning, I made the time and finished off the foreground, retaining some of the orange from the Cyprus landscape. I'm pleased with this, especially as I had no colour notes to remind me of how it looked. I guess enough looking at trees and rocks pays off eventually?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this one too! I often sense a vibrant energy in the natural world and it comes across in this painting.

Also: I see a face in the texture of the wood and I'm wondering if it's Compo...

harry bell said...

I've noticed that face, too, or perhaps it's another one! Wood sprites?