Sunday 29 June 2008

Old Drawings #3



Poron with Books and Fruit (2B pencil, cartridge paper, 16.5 x 12 ins.)

Another traditionally arranged still life set-up, again from about 1973. The idea in all of these was to set them up like a little city, with some books under the cloth making a kind of mountain on which to arrange some of the important elements of the still life, in this case, more books and an earthenware poron.

I used to find this kind of drawing deeply satisfying, but I'm not sure I would be able to get into it now.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Oh, I wish I could do that. It's clean, cool, tonally interesting. To see the skill in drawing well gives me enormous satisfaction.

harry bell said...

I'm genuinely glad you get some pleasure from this. I still like this kind of drawing a lot, but over the years I've been encouraged to loosen up, be more gestural, be more *myself*, so that it would be a great effort to try to do this now. Yet I sometimes wonder if this isn't actually more *myself* anyway?