Friday 3 April 2009

Woodman, Spare that Axe


Trees at Sawrey (work in progress)

I wasn't sure that I'd be able to work over this much today, because the paint was wet, but I've found that using quite thick paint on the brush, mixed with a good bit of Liquin, allows me to slide the paint over the lower layers, without too much mixing of the layers.

The crimson passages were too insistent, I found, and most of them have been taken down with oranges and browns. One or two remain, mainly on the tree trunks, and I'll see what I want to do with them next week.

I hadn't decided yesterday whether I wanted to include the fence posts, but at the last minute I put them in today. I think it was the right decision - they help to lead into the picture and provide a counter-rhythm to the trees on the right.

This being a slight departure for me in terms of subject matter and treatment, I asked Pat what she thought when she called into the Club at the end of the day. She liked it from a distance, but thought it might be too busy close to. Maybe she's right; I'll have to think about it. I suppose I could reduce the number of facets and planes into greater flat areas of paint.

I know it's difficult for you to see it from a distance and close to, but what do you think?

8 comments:

marja-leena said...

I really like this, the colours are quite wonderful! Maybe a new direction coming here. Of course, I love texture... Back in the days long ago when I painted, I loved thick paint.

harry bell said...

I have a huge store of photographs and drawings of trees, stumps and roots which might benefit from this kind of approach. Maybe this *could* be a new direction.

Chris said...

Artist, spare that red!

I think the fence posts work...add more depth...but I prefer the vibrant colours of the earlier version.

When considering a painting I always ask how long I can imagine living with it on my wall. The earlier version wins! I think, as I get older, that I yearn more for exuberance than subtlety...

I don't find the earlier version too busy, but that could be because it's early!

Chris :-))

April Jarocka said...

I like the busy-ness of it Harry from close up and afar. That's no help to you thought, is it? Keep going with it.

harry bell said...

Chris -- I couond't possibly leave it as it was at the first stage. The vermilion is one of those reds I simply can't see properly and so am uncomfortable with it. And, oh, let's face it, I'm not an exuberant person!

April -- It's always difficult to tell with photographs, of course, but I think the areas to left and right will benefit from having less obvious marks broken colour. That way they'd set off the busier areas in the wall, rocks and trees. Anyway, I'll definitely be doing more work on it.

Don Gray said...

I think it's superb. A rich new directional vein for you to mine. And you have the wisdom to know that the work must "feel" right to your own nature and sensibilities.

harry bell said...

High praise, Don. Many thanks.

Caroline said...

I don't think it's too busy, the detail gives it interest. Though the area behind the furthest posts could be pushed back a little colourwise- but, hey, who am I to say !
Nice one.