Friday 27 June 2008

Wansbeck Boat picture contd.



Wansbeck Boat & Houses (work in progress)

I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the way this painting is working out at the Club. I gave myself a challenge with it, by deciding to make the main colour bias green, and by and large, that seems to have worked out, but how would I know? My reservation is pretty much to do with the picture itself. It just doesn't excite me at the moment. I'll finish it off next week and see how I feel about it then.

4 comments:

ian gordon said...

I like the composition and perspective on the houses, which I saw you depict in the drawing on another post.

The boat doesn't quite yet have that "Harry Bell touch" regarding the sense of "drama" and enhanced perspective you put into works like "Yellow raincoat" and "Shelter". But no doubt it will.

vivien said...

I think it's the composition that's maybe making you unhappy?

I like it so much better with a little cut off on the right hand side and some off the sky - focussing you in to the buildings and boat.

what do you think?

I'm constantly cropping my work!

harry bell said...

You both may have something. I think it *is* the boat that's making me uncomfortable and it may be that I need to think about changing the direction of the light to get the usual dramatic effect.

But, Vivien, you may have a point about a little cropping. I'll give that some thought. I'm fond of croppng too, but have recently come a real cropper by taking off too much and ruining an otherwise salvageable picture, which I'll now have to start over again.

vivien said...

mask rather than take the knife to it?