Saturday 1 May 2010

Dales Diary - Sunday 25 April


Gateway to The Rookery (4B pencil, wax crayon, in A4 sketchbook)

A mixed day for weather. At the front of the house is a covered area with tables and chairs, so for a while I sat there and fairly quickly drew this archway. Through the arch are some of the trees that give the house its name. There's a constant uproar in the tree tops from nesting rooks, but in the forecourt chaffinches fly in and out looking for crumbs. After a while, I took to making sure they found some.

4 comments:

Trevor Lingard said...

Hi Harry
Hope you are well.
Its interesting to see your out door sketches.I can amost hear the rooks.
Best Regards

harry bell said...

Thanks, Trevor. Good to hear from you again.

Anonymous said...

I sometimes hear crows calling when I'm sitting in my apartment. From my living room window I can see them perching on TV antennas atop the tall condo building the next block over.

--
Bruce T.

harry bell said...

Yesterday there was a huge battle, feathers flying, between several wood pigeons and a couple of collared doves for possession of the big cypress tree outside my kitchen window. One pair of wood pigeons won and the cock now sits proudly on the very top.