Wednesday 5 May 2010

Dales Diary - Wednesday 28 April (pm)


Scar Top (Rotring BB Art Pen, watercolour, in 21 x 25 cm sketchbook)

Every day on my way down to breakfast, I'd look out of the rear window and up to the empty farmhouse on top of the hill. I knew I wanted to draw it and on Wednesday afternoon I sat out on the terrace at the back of the house and made this drawing.

As soon as I sat down on my stool I realised the view was better from inside the house because of the slightly lower viewpoint, but I'd made up my mind to do the drawing from the terrace. As a result, rather than do a portrait-shaped drawing, I opted for this landscape one. The black trees against the sky turned out to be something of a nightmare, but a wash over the soluble ink of the Art Pen proved to be the solution.

This turned out to be the last drawing I did at The Rookery. Thursday's walk along the far side of the beck, where I'd hoped to find some new material, ended when I met two of the others coming back, having been chased away by a sheepdog.

9 comments:

Sonia said...

I really like your Rotring art pen sketches. Can you still get the cartridges for these - or is it only the sepia which seems to have disappeared? My only problem is that I seem to get more ink on my hands than the page!
Sonia

harry bell said...

I see that Ken Bromley Art Supplies still has both black and sepia cartridges for sale (on offer at the moment for £1.20 for 6)

Sonia said...

Thanks Harry.

the seamonster said...

I'd love to see this as a water colour without the pen. I love the colours.

harry bell said...

Hmm. The pen drawing came first. I don't really do watercolours and I'm not sure this would stand up without the structure of the pen lines.

the seamonster said...

The colours seduced me, which is why I thought it would look good as a water colour only.

Our art teacher beat us all over the head if we outlined anything - but I suppose it's different if you colour in an ink drawing.

harry bell said...

Your art teacher was clearly unfamiliar with, or perhaps unappreciative of much of the work of the Post Impressionists.

I regard this drawing as ink and wash.

DALowe Artist said...

This is absolutely stunning. I love it!

harry bell said...

Thanks, Deborah.