Sunday 16 May 2010

Two More Shops


Picture Shop (work in progress)

It's always a good sign when I start to get excited about a new series and that's what's happened with what is now becoming a series of paintings of Shops & Stalls. Yesterday I made good progress in getting this painting of a picture shop in Crete under way despite the unsympathetic orange underpainting. I'd forgotten that painting over an orange ground makes all the yellows look green and had to work hard to correct it. [Note to self: don't do this again].

With a little time to spare, and the bit between my teeth, I laid out another clothes shop.


Clothes Shop (work in progress)

Further work on these and the other outstanding works in progress will probably have to wait a week, as Pat is taking me to Glasgow on Tuesday for a few days - a belated birthday present.

5 comments:

April Jarocka said...

Wow Harry these paintings are really coming on. It is a wonderful feeling when you start to get excited about something isn't.
My first choice for art school was Glasgow School of Art. Beautiful buildings...do go have a look if you've time. Long time since I was there and I am sure Glasgow has changed a lot, but Scotland is beautiful.

harry bell said...

It's true, I always enjoy painting, but excitement only comes now and then, so I like to make the most of it.

I was often in Edinburgh when I was a kid because I had relatives there, but I've only been to Glasgow once before. Pat is a fan of all things Rennie Mackintosh, so I expect the School of Art is in the schedule. I know the Willow Tea Rooms are!

April Jarocka said...

I never went there. I used to live in Helensburgh and the Hill House there was amazing to walk around, although I didn't like the bathroom. Amazing artist. Would we be here now had I gone to the GSA tho Harry? Sometimes I am glad I didn't. I did do one year at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art...until I flunked out to do nursing...silly how it all happens.....

Casey Klahn said...

After some computer bumps in the road and whatnot, I am back to looking around. I missed seeing your posts, but I see you've been busy.

I look forward to seeing this stalls series.

harry bell said...

Yes, busy in my usual haphazard fashion, Casey. I hope the Shops & Stall series eventually repays your anticipation.