Friday 5 January 2007

Back to Work


Sometimes Falling, Sometimes Flying
(charcoal and compressed charcoal on paper)

Who's a lucky boy, then? That nice Patsy123 bought me a digital camera for Xmas, so I can now bring you the latest breaking news from the Zip Studio.

I went to the Art Club today to wish Compo & Clegg and the boys a Happy New Year. While I was there we got on the subject of the People Show and how I intended to submit something as usual.

That was when I realised that my habit of not getting a new calendar written up with January's birthdays and events before the beginning of January can be a dangerous practice. Pictures for the People Show have to be submitted next Monday.

Bugger.

I knew what it was I intended to submit, but it isn't finished. It's based on the drawing above, done when I was really having rather a bad time of it. A very personal picture. I'd started the painting but when things improved I didn't feel the urge to go on with it.

Now, in the depths of miserable winter, I knew it was the right painting to move along. So here it is back on the easel in the studio. I think it can be finished in time, but if things go wrong with it, it'll be a struggle. But hey, painting's all about struggle!

5 comments:

The Crafty Cruiser said...

Harry. That's brilliant. If I had the money I'd buy it myself but that bastard Gordon Brown has just ruined my year.

harry bell said...

Thanks. We do easy terms ...

The Crafty Cruiser said...

I wish Gordon Brown did....

Anonymous said...

That's a damned good camera you've got. When I looked at the photo, I could smell the paint.
Good luck with the painting. As the man said, it looks brilliant...

harry bell said...

It is a good camera, tho I'm still getting to grips with it. It's a Canon PowerShot A540.