Wednesday 19 May 2004

Why?

I know it says, "Artist by day, blogger by night.." up there, but you're probably wondering whether I ever do any of this artisting. Doesn't get mentioned much, it seems.

It's beginning to puzzle me too.

Not because I'm not getting any artwork done, but because I'm not writing about it. I honestly thought that a large part of this blog would be taken up with the daily problems of making art. Obviously, it hasn't worked out that way, but I'm cool with it.

Why the hell am I writing this blog then? In her book, Writing Down the Bones, Natalie Goldberg says:

Baker Roshi from San Francisco Zen Center said, "Why? isn't a good question." Things just are. Hemingway has said, "Not the why, but the what." Give the real detailed information. Leave the why for psychologists. It's enough to know you want to write. Write.

I guess that'll have to do as an answer for now.

No comments: